[ih] A name from the past

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Apr 26 05:56:42 PDT 2022

So I was reading an article "Data Communications at the NPL (1965-1975)" in
the 'Annals of the History of Computing' (as it was then; Vol 9, No 3/4, if
anyone wants to look at it), and it refers (on pg 228.) to an "Alan Marshall,
an American computer professional then working in England". I'm wondering if
this might be the same Alan Marshall who was later the chief engineer at
Proteon? It's not a super-unusual name, so there might easily be two; and the
description as a "computer professional" doesn't sound like Proteon's
Marshall, who I would describe as a hardware guy who was more working on
analog communication gear, when I met him in around 1979 or so.

I've lost touch with him, and in any case there's a good chance we've lost him
(Howard Salwen died a few years back), or I'd ask him directly. Anyone have
anything useful?

	 Noel