[ih] The Long List of Things That Have To Be Figured Out Someday

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Thu Apr 14 00:39:35 PDT 2022

Jack Haverty said, about the Internet:
> "We Still Had Long List of Things That Had To Be Figured Out Someday
> and the technology kind of got out of our hands and
> went out into the user's environment before it was ready to go"

and

> "It Should All Just Work But The Reality Is It Still Doesn't, There's A Long
> List of Things That Have To Get Done"

geoff goodfellow asked:
> curious if anyone has a copy or memory of what
> the Long List of Things That Had To Be Figured Out Someday?

Dave Taht asked me a similar question in 2013, "what Big Problems do we
need to solve with the Internet over the next 10 years?".  He blogged my
said if we had asked him, but there's probably some overlap.

  http://the-edge.taht.net/post/gilmores_list/

The list is succinct, so I'll include it inline:

Gilmore’s List

*  Routing scalability at planetary scale
*  Uncensorable, untappable Internet infrastructure (Freedombox-ish)
*  Routing scalability at city scale among peer nodes (Freedombox-ish)
*  A fully distributed database replacement for DNS
*  How to crutch along on IPv4 without destroying end-to-end?
*  Finishing the IPv6 transition, sanely, and safely.
*  DNSSEC as a trustable infrastructure.
*  Delivering fiber speeds to ordinary consumers.
*  Keeping email relevant while ending its centralized censorship.
*  Reliable, secure wireless ad hoc peer to peer radio communication.
*  Reliable, working long-haul wireless Internet that isn’t owned by
   crabbed censorial monopolist cellular companies.
*  Restoring “network neutrality” by restoring competition among ISPs.
*  Reliable, working, worldwide voice interaction (telephone) replacement.
*  Copyright and patent defense/collaboration is another; or perhaps a
   better way to put it is “how the next Internet can pay creators
   without throwing away all the advantages of worldwide instant
   communication”
*  Digital value transfer (reliable digital cash)
*  Reliable node-level cyber security
*  Reliable network-level cyber security
*  Reliable internetwork-level cyber security
*  Privacy on a large scale network.
*  How to leverage information asymmetries for ordinary users’ benefit.
*  Distributed social networking.
*  Avoidance of pinch-points like Google and Facebook that bend a widely
   distributed system into an access network that somehow always leads
   to their monopoly.
*  What replaces the Web as the next big obvious thing that we should’ve
   done years before which takes over the world’s idea of “what the
   Internet is”?
*  Creating better business models than (1) move bits as a commodity, and
   (2) force ads on people!

	John