[ih] History of Anonymous FTP

Wayne Hathaway wayne at playaholic.com
Tue Sep 28 20:49:08 PDT 2021

In 1972, I implemented an early version of the FTP protocol on the TSS/360 system at NASA Ames.  Because I felt it might be interesting to others to document some of the issues that arose and how I got around them, I wrote RFC 418, "Server File Transfer Under TSS/360 at NASA-Ames Research Cenrer."  I just pulled that RFC up to remind myself how I handled anonymous, and was a little surprised to see that the word appears nowhere in the RFC!  I did define three userids ARPA, ARPA1, and ARPA2 so users could access files without having their own userids added, but any concept of anonymous FTP doesn't seem to have existed in 1972.  Interesting.