[ih] History of Anonymous FTP

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Sep 28 20:09:40 PDT 2021

The history of the Web usually has citations to work such as Engelbarts,
for its conceptual history.  And that's entirely reasonable.  But that
system was not a widely distributed set of independent operations.

So I always point to Anonymous FTP as the operational base, for the
model.  We relied on it for roughly 20 years, before gopher and the web
gave us improved choices.

But I don't remember the details of when Anonymous FTP came into
service.  Just did a quick search and didn't find anything helpful.

Perhaps this group knows some relevant details?

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking