[ih] Email behavior (better subject ID...)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 21:39:26 PDT 2021

On 04-Sep-21 16:16, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> I took a quick look at those RFCs, and the 5983 one.  RFCs 2369 and 2919
> are "proposed standards" and 5983 is labelled "Experimental". Is there
> some other place to look that indicates these were actually later
> adopted as official "standards"?

No. The status indicated by the RFC Editor is definitive. If a document
has been obsoleted or updated, that is also indicated, so
https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5983 tells you that RFC5983 has been
obsoleted by https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc6783, which is
Informational.

As I think Fred Baker was the first to say, the Internet runs on Proposed
Standards (except when it's running on Historic, Experimental or
Informational RFCs, not to mention that the whole BGP-4 system ran on an
Internet-Draft for a while). Fortunately, running code trumps rough
consensus, and they both trump the formal standards process.

For an entertaining snapshot, see the following trio of entries from the
RFC index, and think about actual reality in mid-1994 (and note that
the first one is still officially a Draft Standard):

1629 Guidelines for OSI NSAP Allocation in the Internet. R. Colella, R.
     Callon, E. Gardner, Y. Rekhter. May 1994. (Format: TXT, HTML)
     (Obsoletes RFC1237) (Status: DRAFT STANDARD) (DOI: 10.17487/RFC1629)

1630 Universal Resource Identifiers in WWW: A Unifying Syntax for the
     Expression of Names and Addresses of Objects on the Network as used
     in the World-Wide Web. T. Berners-Lee. June 1994. (Format: TXT,
     HTML) (Status: INFORMATIONAL) (DOI: 10.17487/RFC1630)

1631 The IP Network Address Translator (NAT). K. Egevang, P. Francis. May
     1994. (Format: TXT, HTML) (Obsoleted by RFC3022) (Status:
     INFORMATIONAL) (DOI: 10.17487/RFC1631)

Regards,
    Brian