[ih] Email behavior (better subject ID...)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri Sep 3 21:16:26 PDT 2021

I took a quick look at those RFCs, and the 5983 one.  RFCs 2369 and 2919
are "proposed standards" and 5983 is labelled "Experimental". Is there
some other place to look that indicates these were actually later
adopted as official "standards"?

Regardless of their status, you just described exactly what I observed:
"Lots of mail programs recognize them and do something with them "   The
phrase "do something" doesn't sound like a definition of a standard.

Those RFCs seem to define the format of several "header fields", but say
nothing about how the information contained therein should be used by
mail senders, receivers, list managers, etc. as they handle mail.

An analogy might be that there are RFCs which define the format of TCP
and IP headers.  But they also define what the software handling those
datagrams should do with that information.  For example, the TCP header
contains a field for Sequence number, but it also specifies what a
program sending or receiving must do with the contents of those
fields.   They specify the Formats and the Protocols.

Just out of curiousity, I let my mail program display all headers, and I
looked at messages I've recently received on several dozen mailing
lists.  Surprisingly, many contain "List-*" fields.   But some have
several such fields, while others have only one.   Several mailing lists
have no List-* headers at all (e.g., nextdoor.com). It appears, from my
admittedly tiny data, that there are no standards for which of those
headers must be created when a message is sent to a list of people.

So, "Lots of mail programs recognize them and do something with them" is
the standard?

That's what I meant by "not being standardized or widely
implemented/adopted."  The formats are defined; the associated
protocol(s) are not.   (Or I'm just not aware of them, it's been a long
time since I was involved in mail protocols.)

/Jack Haverty