[ih] Eric Allman giving a public talk on the history of email

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Oct 5 01:16:17 PDT 2021

A long time ago, 1980/1981, before sendmail, I was at Interactive
Systems in Santa Monica.

Brian X (forgot his last name) and I came up with a system we called
"queued ftp" - it was a store-and-forward system for file images, with
delivery to a program.   It kinda resembled what would be a system of
sendmail relays.

(I can't remember whether we were influenced by IBM's SNADS or whether
that came later.)

We used our QFTP system as the engine underneath the email system we
built, as well as for things like remote printing.

I gave a paper on this stuff at either USENIX or Unix Users Group at the
old Jack Tarr hotel in San Francisco around 1980/81.  Eric A. chaired
the session.

I'm not saying that the work that Brian X and I did at Interactive had
any influence on sendmail, but I like to think we did.

By-the-way, we built this on PDP/11 Unix systems using Z80 based Unibus
cards ("UMC cards) from ACC in Santa Barbara.

     --karl--