[ih] ARPA Information Processing Techniques Office history (was: Alex McKenzie's 2013 paper on the History of the Internet)

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Fri Nov 26 17:23:58 PST 2021

in reading Alex's 2013 paper on the History of the Internet yours truly saw
mention as to who was the first IPTO director (Lick) and then immediate
mention that  Robert W. ‘‘Bob’’ Taylor (1932– ) became the
third IPTO director in 1966 -- but with no mention as to who was the second
IPTO director... so over to Wikipedia it was and yours truly found at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Processing_Techniques_Office

under

"Later history

Ivan Sutherland replaced J. C. R. Licklider as IPTO's director when
Licklider left ARPA in 1964.[7][8] Sutherland was 26 years old at the time.
Bob Taylor was hired as Sutherland's assistant in 1965 and became director
in 1966.[9]

During Taylor's tenure, the IPTO facility consisted of a spacious office
for the director in Ring D of The Pentagon and a small "terminal room" with
remote terminals to mainframe computers at MIT, the University of
California, Berkeley and the AN/FSQ-32 in Santa Monica.[10] The staff at
the Pentagon consisted of the director and his secretary.[11] The budget
was $19 million which funded computer research projects at MIT and other
institutions in Massachusetts and California.[12]

In 1966 Taylor went to ARPA, on Ring E, for funding to create a computer
network that used interactive computing. He got $1 million and hired
Lawrence Roberts to manage the project.[13]

IPTO was combined with the Transformational Convergence Technology Office
(TCTO) to form the Information Innovation Office (I2O) in 2010."

two immediate things came to mind:

#1.) it would seem of benefit that this part of IPTO's history could/needs
to be further flushed out to include all prior directors and their
assistants, say starting with Bob Kahn, Steve Crocker, ...?

#2.) a 26 year old D/ARPA office director (Ivan Sutherland)!?
would curious to know if that would that be the youngest (or anything close
to the youngest) director of any D/ARPA office to the present day?

geoff

Geoff.Goodfellow at iconia.com
living as The Truth is True