[ih] Museum-quality archive for this list?

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Nov 16 07:34:19 PST 2021

On 11/16/2021 7:10 AM, Jorge Amodio wrote:
> I think that if funds and bodies are available, on of the first steps
> after having some sort of institutional framework should be
> collecting/acquiring and curating materials and provide temporary
> storage while some working group starts to work on a permanent long term
> solution.

Thanks for writing that.  It points in the direction I'm hoping we can go.

Perhaps it will help to have a fairly simple summary statement of the
steady-state goals for this?

I said "museum quality" as a facile way to distinguish from simple
backup or normal computer archive. But what are the technical and
operational requirements?  The reference to 500 years is helpful.

This probably needs to levels of statement.  The first is a summary of
affirmative goals and the nature of threats/problems to protect against.

The second might be a statement of technical approaches considered most
promising to aid in sustaining the goals.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking