[ih] Intel 4004 vs the IMP

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Mon Nov 15 23:13:43 PST 2021

Jack Haverty wrote:
> There is quite a lot of information about the IMP code, including
> several complete listings of its program, in 316 assembler of course,
> and its recent resurrection, available at:
> https://walden-family.com/impcode/
>
> I'm not sure where it is now, but the code itself also exists in
> runnable form

A ready-to-go sample configuration is distributed with the SIMH
emulator: https://github.com/simh/simh/tree/master/H316/tests

> It's ready for someone to resurrect one of those early host computers
> to create traffic.

I'm trying to do that, but finding suitable host systems is not that
easy.  NCP implementations are hard to find now.  On top of that the IMP
code is from 1973, so it will only accept the old 32-bit leader format.