[ih] Intel 4004 vs the IMP

Andrew G. Malis agmalis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 08:24:53 PST 2021

Jorge et al,

I have the possibly unique experience of having written 316/516 IMP code at
BBN (in assembler) while also, at MITRE, having written the code for an
8-bit 6502-based layer-2 Ethernet predecessor that used CSMA/CD on a
broadband local-area cable infrastructure (also in assembler) called
MITREnet. THe MITREnet units had a 6502 processor, a 2K!!!!! PROM for the
program memory, and I can't remember how much RAM for packet buffers and
variable memory, but it was probably 4K bytes. We had a computer interface,
cable radio interface, store and forward with queuing for the packets, and
of course CSMA/CD algorithms for cable transmission management. So you
could do an awful lot with a 6502 and a 2K PROM! While it wasn't up to
snuff with a 316/516 in terms of processing capacity, the 6502 would have
been sufficient for a very early router that handled packet ingress,
egress, queuing, and a simple routing protocol such as RIP.

After I left MITRE, they upgraded the MITRENET units in the early 80s to
use the Zilog Z8000, 32K of PROM for program memory, and 64K of RAM. The
upgraded units included TCP/IP, FTP, and TELNET implementations as well as
packet forwarding and high-speed (for the time) RS-422 DMA-based host
interfaces for PDP-11s and VAXes, so it would certainly have had enough
processing capacity to be a full router as well.

Cheers,
Andy

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 10:41 AM Jorge Amodio via Internet-history <