[ih] Intel 4004 vs the IMP

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 07:11:19 PST 2021

I really doubt it, the 4004 and companion chipset were designed for a
specific application/customer, the Busicon 141-PF calculator.

The event that really pushed intel to get into the microprocessor business
was the custom design of the 1201 later transformed into the 8008, based on
the original CPU design (TTL based) for the Datapoint 2200 from Computer
Terminal Corporation of San Antonio (later renamed as Datapoint,)
unfortunately intel was late to deliver and Datapoint never used but made a
deal that instead of paying the leftover on the contract intel kept the
rights to continue developing and commercializing the microprocessor
technology.

At first intel was hesitant to take the project, at that time they were the
premier manufacturer of memory chips and CTC was one of their major
customers, and they didn't want the microprocessor to jeopardize their
business with other computer manufacturers at that time.

Obviously being San Antonio the birthplace of CTC/Datapoint and the
Datapoint 2200, we have rich history collection, for about three years I
was involved with the local museum of science and technology where we have
a large collection of Datapoint equipment, documents, etc, among them two
of the four hand build prototypes of the Datapoint 2200. Also we have first
hand knowledge, and close access to people that were closely involved in
the company, including a good friend of mine now living in Austin, the son
of one of Datapoint's founder.

So most of the stories around the 4004 (including the one saying that it
was used by NASA for early spacecraft) are pure bologna or popular myths.

Cheers
Jorge

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 8:19 AM Steve Crocker via Internet-history <