[ih] Intel 4004 vs the IMP

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Mon Nov 15 06:19:31 PST 2021

National Public Radio in the U.S. is noting today that Intel introduced the
4004 microprocessor 50 years ago this week.  And thus began the
microprocessor revolution.

The Arpanet used separate computers, the IMPs, to orchestrate the
communications.  Financially, this was just barely practical and was a
major breakthrough.  The IMPs were Honeywell 516 and 316 computers, which
used technology several years older than Intel's 4004.  And I doubt the
4004 would have been capable of serving as the CPU in an Arpanet router.
But more capable microprocessors came along over the next few years.

Might it be possible to pin down the crossover date?  That is, when did a
microprocessor appear that was of the same power as the Honeywell 316?

Alternatively, the processing needs for a router weren't staying static, so
perhaps matching the power of a H316 would not have been sufficient.  In
that case, the question is when did a microprocessor appear that was
powerful enough to serve as a router?

I have a guess, but I don't have first hand knowledge.

Comments?

Thanks,

Steve