[ih] Saving IETF history

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Sat May 15 10:59:59 PDT 2021

Jack Haverty wrote in
 <db96b1dc-a328-c5a1-1f09-e61acb3facb7 at 3kitty.org>:
 |Re the relation to military history...   In high school I learned about
 |Roman history, and still remembered some of it circa 1978-9 as we were
 |defining the next generation TCP (v4).  Roman generals had problems in
 |communicating from the hinterlands of the Empire back to Rome.  No fiber
 |or satellites, but they did build an impressive network of roads and
 |marine routes.
 |Caesar apparently never patented any of these inventions, probably
 |preferring to keep them as trade secrets.   Even if he had, the patent
 |lifetime has probably run out by now.   2000 years or so should be
 |sufficient...assuming it's not still in litigation of course.

I think Gauls could become angry reading this.
It is assumed that there was already a good road system which is
why Caesar could move so rapidly down there in Gaul.
(Rome is known for its splendidly constructed road system beside
that, of course: mostly straight, mostly flat, often
hard-surfaced, and even more.  Thousands of kilometres thereof.)

--steffen