[ih] Saving IETF history

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri May 14 19:42:53 PDT 2021

The particular patent I mentioned is one of those cross-discipline
situations.  It came out of the Television industry, who apparently
discovered computers when they became cheap enough to become the core
component of set-top boxes.  So, of course they encountered the same
issues as computer network people had hit a decade or two earlier, when
computers were scarce and expensive.  So they invented, and patented,
similar solutions.   During the 70s era of computers and networking, I
don't recall anyone ever mentioning or discussing the patentability of
anything we did.   It just wasn't the culture at the time.   But we
apparently created a lot of prior art.   If you can find it.

Re the relation to military history...   In high school I learned about
Roman history, and still remembered some of it circa 1978-9 as we were
defining the next generation TCP (v4).  Roman generals had problems in
communicating from the hinterlands of the Empire back to Rome.  No fiber
or satellites, but they did build an impressive network of roads and
marine routes.

Still, there were problems with "dropouts" (e.g., courier captured by
bandits) and such events.  So they developed techniques such as sending
a message by several different couriers to assure that at least one copy
got through.   They might also dispatch one by land over some mountain
range, and another by sea, to mitigate the threat of pirates or highway
robbers.   For especially secret messages, they might split the message
up into pieces, and send different pieces by different couriers, so that
capturing one or two wouldn't reveal the message contents.

Of course the contemporary military has exactly the same kinds of
problems in assuring that messages get through.   If you think of
packets as "couriers", you can get some very similar solutions for
today's networks.  Similarly, you might think of a TCP connection as one
"courier route", and use multiple such "connections" to get reliable
communications.

As an example of "looking outside your discipline", I remember
discussing the Roman "protocols" in some Internet meetings of the late
70s era.   The discussion generated some entries on the list of "things
we have to work on someday".   One example is "Multi-homed Hosts", i.e.,
how to operate TCP connections where one or both endpoints are attached
to multiple distinct networks.   AFAIK we still don't support that.
Same with "Diversity Routing" (sending packets by intentionally
different routes).

Caesar apparently never patented any of these inventions, probably
preferring to keep them as trade secrets.   Even if he had, the patent
lifetime has probably run out by now.   2000 years or so should be
sufficient...assuming it's not still in litigation of course.

/Jack Haverty