[ih] Saving IETF history

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed May 12 19:04:06 PDT 2021

The listing I analyzed was from 1973.  By then it was no longer
necessary for any human intervention.   If the IMP crashed, or simply
became nonresponsive, the hardware would force it to jump into a set of
instructions that sought out a neighbor and asked for a reload.

As part of that patent effort, I analyzed the reload-related parts of
the IMP code, instruction by instruction, and the interactions between
the 2 IMPs involved.   I suspect it violated more core principles of
layering, software engineering, coding structure, and other such rules
than any software had to date.   The part where the network I/O
overwrote the memory while the processor was executing from it was
especially clever.

Most importantly, it worked.

/Jack