[ih] Saving IETF history

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed May 12 18:06:17 PDT 2021

> "downloading new versions of system software".

Arpanet coming out party, Fall, 1972, bowels of the Washington DC
Hilton.  I was asked to demo the net to Lipinski, Sr., of the IFF.  I
connect to BBN and run something.  Then connect to ISI and run
something.  He's thoroughly bored.  Too easy, quick and unengaging.  I
could tell that he was not appreciating what this was..

Then the TIP crashes.  We wait a moment and he asks how long before we
can continue.  I check and am told a reload is needed.  I tell him that
and he says he'll go off to a conference session until the system is
reloaded.  I explain the delay will only be a few minutes.

He says that can't be.  They haven't even rolled out the paper tape
reader yet.  I explain they won't be doing that, and tell him that
Boston will be directing a download over the net from a neighbor.

This is a bright, experienced guy.  He takes in what I just said and
THEN he finally understands the net.

d/

--
Dave Crocker