[ih] Museum archiving (was: Re: IENs)

David Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Sat May 8 07:42:33 PDT 2021

On May 8, 2021, at 10:11 AM, John Day via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

A slight correction, Craig.

I am a recognized historian in the History of Science and Cartography, primarily 17thC-18thC China and published widely. I have spent considerable time in archives across Asia and Europe and with private collectors. My experience goes well beyond computer museums, as I told Dave off-list, including junk rooms in the Vatican. (Sometimes one finds things in the oddest places.) ;-)

You are right about access. Electronic copies can be nice, but there are important things about provenance, etc. that one can only learn by seeing the artifact itself.

John