[ih] Why is MAXNS set to 3

Sevan Janiyan venture37 at geeklan.co.uk
Fri Mar 5 07:49:57 PST 2021

On 28/02/2021 17:07, Kevin Dunlap wrote:
> Someone pointed out to me that I did the code check-in to the source
> code repository for UC Berkeley CSRG (BSD) in October 1985.
> Code change set MAXNS to 3.  Now someone over 35 years is questions why.
> I would say setting it to 3 has stood the test of time.

Thank you for explaining, makes sense.
I ran into an issue where a system was configured with 3 name servers
statically which became invalid after a network change, however, correct
name servers were pushed to the system via DHCP as well for a total of 6
nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf and that got me digging.
I was just dreading that 3 was a value chosen due to a technical
limitation of something in the 80s. :)

Sevan