[ih] DNS origins?

Timothy J. Salo salo at saloits.com
Wed Jun 9 22:56:15 PDT 2021

On 6/9/2021 9:14 PM, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:
> https://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=900 makes interesting reading. It answers my first question: "...one of the first graphic amber plasma flat screen."

I thought that the Plato terminal, circa 1964, was the first practical
plasma display.

   The first practical plasma video display was co-invented in 1964 at
   the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign by Donald Bitzer, H.
   Gene Slottow, and graduate student Robert Willson for the PLATO
   computer system.

   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_display>

Also,

   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLATO_(computer_system)>

     And, even more off-topic:

       In August 2004, a version of PLATO corresponding to the final
       release from CDC was resurrected online. This version of PLATO
       runs on a free and open-source software emulation of the original
       CDC hardware called Desktop Cyber. ... Desktop Cyber accurately
       emulates in software a range of CDC Cyber mainframe models and
       many peripherals.

     o Now, I just need a nine-track tape drive to read my old tapes.

     o How much faster is my Raspberry Pi 4 (1.5 GHz clock, 8 GB memory)
       emulating a CDC 6600 (10 MHz clock, 982 KB memory)?

-tjs