[ih] Snapshot of the Internet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Jun 5 14:09:56 PDT 2021

Yes, I pointed to that map because I found it thought provoking. It
seems there should be a very interesting "History of the Internet"
chapter on Governance - how the Internet was steered and developed into
what it is today.

IMHO, at the beginning of the Internet, governance was pretty much in
the form of Plato's (and others') "benevolent dictator" structure.
ARPA, mainly Vint and Bob, were the dictators, steering the Internet by
controlling the purse strings of funding contracts.   That certainly
changed as the 'net grew, other players joined, and other societal
interests exerted influence.

I have no idea how to describe Internet governance today, or how it got
from there to here.  If someone writes that chapter, I'd love to read it....

/Jack