[ih] distributed network control: Usenet

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Thu Jul 22 11:10:18 PDT 2021

On 21/07/2021 02:55, John Levine via Internet-history wrote:
> It appears that Dan Cross via Internet-history <crossd at gmail.com> said:
>> It's still there, still works, and perhaps amazingly, still has some
>> traffic.
>
> Yup.  If you post something to comp.compilers, I'm still the moderator.  There's
> a fair number of groups with interesting traffic like comp.arch (computer architecture)
> and uk.railway (train spotter anoraks.)

Oi! :-)

A lot of groups do seem to have fallen below the critical mass necessary
to keep them going, but there are, as you say, still several that are
popular. Moderation seems to have been the salvation of many; it keeps
the spammers out and maintains the signal to noise ratio at a level
which makes the group readable.

Mark