[ih] distributed network control: Usenet

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Tue Jul 20 16:03:40 PDT 2021

> Jack Haverty wrote:
>> What I was referencing was a non-technical design decision -- the notion
>> that there shouldn't be any single person, corporation, or organization
>> "managing the network".   The ARPANET, and IIRC all other networks of
>> the day, were under a single organization's control.
Really?  NASA SPAN, DOEnet, then CSnet, and then the Supercomputer
Center Networks, and the NSFnet regionals & Backbone?

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown