[ih] distributed network control: Usenet

Bob Purvy bpurvy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 14:11:52 PDT 2021

OK, I've been resisting promoting my book(s), so apologies but here goes:

Inventing the Future
<https://www.amazon.com/Inventing-Future-Albert-Cory/dp/1736298615/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0>
(on
the Xerox Star) takes a much different approach than the history books: I
wrote it as historical *fiction* (the characters are fictional, but the
events are all real). I've finished the first draft of the sequel, which
goes through most of the 80s and the growth of Ethernet and the Internet.

So some of what you've all been talking about will appear in Book II, but
definitely not *all* of it. No one was present for all of it. I wasn't.
I've had some help from Dave Crocker and Bob Metcalfe already and I hope
some of the rest of you will help out, too.

Why historical fiction? To get into what it felt like, not just what
happened. To try and recapture what it was like to be part of it and not
know how it was going to turn out. Because I can't write dialog and
meetings with real people -- no one remembers what they said or did back
then, and if they did they might not all agree, or give permission. Fiction
is just a different animal. My touchstone is the *Master and Commander* series
of books by Patrick O'Brian.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 1:57 PM Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history <