[ih] distributed network control: Usenet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Jul 20 19:23:20 PDT 2021

Thanks Vint.  Dates have always been hard (for me at least) to keep sorted.

Per the authoritative voice of Wikipedia - "Support for NSFNET end-users
was provided by the NSF Network Service Center (NNSC), located at BBN
Technologies <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBN_Technologies>". But I
can't say I remember anything about that at all.

Also I agree we didn't get involved with the Fuzzball network as it got
rolled out to NSF et al.  However, I remember clearly various "events"
that occurred several years earlier while Dave was developing his
Fuzzball code and a few Fuzzies were part of the fledgling Internet.
At some of the meetings, we would jokingly rib each other.   Dave would
report on something his Fuzzies tried to do; I would report on the
ensuing disruptions in the Internet we were trying to make reliable.   I
joked that Dave's tendency was to poke at the Internet in some new way
and say "Hey, look, it turned pink, let's see what else we can do."   I
would respond with something like "Please don't do that."   Dave was the
scientist, exploring the unknown.  I was the engineer, trying to get the
beast to keep running.

That was all before 1982 and was a strong motivation for creating the
notion of ASes and EGP.   EGP allowed us both to be happy and keep
scientific experimentation and operational engineering from doing battle
inside the Internet.

/Jack