[ih] early DNS, A paper that has something to to with the Internet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Jul 20 15:07:58 PDT 2021

Very cool, thanks.  I was at Oracle and involved with operating the
corporate intranet in the 90s.   We always wondered exactly what all the
traffic was doing!

In terms of Internet History, one observation I offer is that, as users
invaded the Internet, they started to build things themselves.   It was
(and is) easy to do so given the "platform" provided by TCP and IP.   It
seems that such development continues even today, evidenced by popular
applications and their underlying technology (CDNs et al) which are
prominent with netizens such as Netflix, Youtube, Facebook, et al.

IMHO, there's been a steady but unrelenting shift of technology
development away from the traditional research/engineering machinery and
into the users' (including corporations) realms.   I guess that's why I
keep wondering how much of the IETF's technology captured in RFCs is
actually what is being used in the operating Internet.

Something for historians to ponder....

/Jack