[ih] The "right to repair" and spacex starlink

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Tue Jul 20 07:15:44 PDT 2021

Dave Täht wrote in
 <20210720095706.GA1007 at mail.taht.net>:
 |I've been dinging spacex's starlink effort and
 |(especially) the right to repair this week. The key, short
 |segment is here:
 |
 |https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9gLo6Xrwgw
 |
 |(they are using an ancient linux kernel on their router
 | and dishy with no bufferbloat mitigations in then)
 |
 |The whole show is here, where I leverage among
 |other crazy things, a "vogon cluebat":
 |
 |https://twit.tv/shows/floss-weekly/episodes/638?autostart=false
 |
 |please reshare and enjoy!

To be very honest, i cannot enjoy anything surrounding these
efforts.  I hate the so-called "Starlink trains" on the sky above
us; i have seen other constellations which would seem preferrable,
if anything at all, but likely none of those, as commercial
satellites are something i totally refuse.  Whereas that is my
personal fun, the pollution is not.
I think that one big penis must have landed again in the meantime,
i think the date was carefully chosen.  The Guardian yesterday had
a small notice on the air pollution caused by "a rocket start"
alone, let alone resource digging, construction, transport, and
the private learjet flight to the launch pad.  Sorry, no.
You know, Velvet Underground had a perfect day ~50 years ago, and
it was a bit cheaper for everyone else.

 |So far I have got a few folk with extensive packet expertise to
 |join the "starlink" mailing list to offer them some
 |sage advice about how to go about building a better
 |LEO network, and I'd love it if more from here joined.
 |
 |subscribe at:

But luckily Hubble could be fixed again, i have read.  Granted,
i hate most of what Musk does.  I just do not get it.  Just today
i have read they destroyed a crypto mining farm with a bulldozer,
was it in Indonesia?  As a german i concur flamethrowers are no
fun, a fire-eater, maybe.  Yeah and electric cars, poor sausage on
that cross, really, the sheer pollution that will happen because
of all the infrastructural changes which are needed to go
electrical cars, instead of waiting five more years (or spending
massive worldwide development interest) and just upgrading the
existing petrol stations with hydrogen.  650 and more kilogram of
batteries in those electrical SUVs, no no.  These alone are almost
as heavy as the Lotus frame and body they used first.
I personally give as much fecal matter as you desire for these
good business models.

Granted, that they are.  The question is, how come that all this
is possible, who give billions and billions of credit for way over
a decade, so that the best engineers and designers etc. can be
bought, and paid for such a long time, and lots of expensive
development can occur.  Seems i am just to stupid to know the
right people who put trust and money.  Anyhow.

Spoiler off.

--steffen