[ih] A paper

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Jul 19 14:13:32 PDT 2021

Fascinating.  I had never heard of those proposals and decisions until
yesterday.   I wonder if it was a "political" or technical or some other
motivation involved in the decision to migrate to DCA.

IMHO, most people don't really understand the "system level" view of
ARPANET technology.   The internals, e.g., the "routing algorithm" and
such have gotten a lot of scientific attention and mathematical
analysis, and the IMPs plausibly pioneered the notion of "no central
control point" and demonstrated its viability.    No IMP in the ARPANET
was "special".  They all ran the exact same code.

But the IMPs were surrounded by a management system that kept the
network running and evolving.   My office at BBN was "down the hall"
from the ARPANET NOC, where there was often a flurry of activity
involved in "operating" the net.   Much of that involved fixing problems
such as circuit failures, and orchestrating changes like deployment of
new software releases.

In addition to the operators, there was a rather large group of network
analysts who would examine all of the data collected about network
behavior, and figure out what to do about it, hopefully and usually in
advance of problems appearing to the network users.  That would include
changes to the IMP code resulting in a new release to be invisibly (to
the users) deployed throughout the collection of IMPs without
disruptions.   It would also include changes to the topology of the net,
ordering new circuits, rearranging the interconnects between IMPs,
etc.   The ARPANET, and the other networks of IMPs that we deployed,
were constantly changing.

All of that system engineering was accomplished by having a single point
of management, i.e., often the BBN NOC and nearby analysts. Some
IMP-network owners took over operational control, and staffed their own
NOC, but still relied on the BBN Analysts to help them make the
decisions involved in evolving their networks.

It's hard to see how that would have all been accomplished if every IMP
in the ARPANET was owned and managed by its particular site. Perhaps the
"cooperative" of IMP owners would have been primarily a financial
construct to allocate costs, with some kind of committee or contracted
group (e.g., BBN) to perform the system management. Still, IMHO that
would have been a single point of control where system-level decisions
were made.

When Vint asked me if I'd be willing to take on the task of making the
Internet into an operational service, as reliable as the ARPANET, I
agreed, and attacked the task by following the lead of the ARPANET,
which of course was natural since the ARPANET was literally down the
hall.  That started with getting the NOC operators to do 24x7 monitoring
of the Gateways, with the "Gateway Group" recruiting some people with
ARPANET experience to provide the analysts and programming functions.

IMHO, the decision to follow the lead of the ARPANET was analagous to
ARPA's decision to move the ARPANET to DCA.   With the task to "make the
Gateways 24x7 operational", I made the decision to accomplish that by
plagiarizing (the politically correct term was "technology transfer") as
much of the ARPANET "management" mechanisms as we could.   I don't
recall anyone at ARPA directing me to fold the Gateways into the ARPANET
ecosystem, but that could probably have been predicted as a consequence
of moving the Gateway project into the same group within BBN that was
responsible for the ARPANET.  Vint may remember more about that event in
Internet History and what the motivations were.

My decision was purely pragmatic; it seemed to be the obvious way to
make the Internet into a stable service.   Even so, decades later, I
learned that some of the people within BBN thought that I had "stolen"
the project by lobbying ARPA to move it to my group.   That wasn't true,
but I can see how people might have thought it was. Perhaps some
historian will even find such a claim in some obscure report in the
"documentation" and have tangible proof of a decision driven by office
politics.   As Olivier pointed out, history often looks different when
viewed from different perspectives, even as it is happening.   You can't
always trust the "documentation."

Bob Kahn disrupted that evolutionary path that the Internet was on, by
setting a task to enable groups other than BBN to build Gateways and
manage their own chunks of the global Internet.   That resulted in Eric
and I inventing "Autonomous Systems" and EGP.   But we didn't know that
it was even possible to build a reliable Internet which was a
cooperating set of separately managed ASes.  We did think that we could
use EGP to insulate our own "core gateways" to keep them functioning
despite what might be happening in other ASes.   That was sufficient to
enable the people who were clamoring to build their own gateways to do
so, all as part of the Internet Experiment.   We thought there might be
as many as a dozen or so ASes that would appear; at BBN, we could even
use a second AS to try out our own new ideas, with confidence it
wouldn't disrupt the core service.

We did have concerns about having multiple managers, because we had seen
problems in the operational Internet.   One example I vaguely recall is
when two academic sites (this was probably after NSFNET entered the
Internet) were physically close but topologically distant in the net.
To support some collaborative project, they decided, on their own, to
interconnect two of their own gateways with a 9.6kb circuit.   They
expected that to result in better performance on file transfers between
their sites.

What actually happened, because of the primitive nature of the
"hop-based" routing in the Internet, was that their skinny 9.6kb circuit
suddenly became the best route for much of the cross-country traffic in
the entire Internet.  Chaos ensued.  Such events were expected to worsen
with more and more ASes in the picture, but we expected that at least we
could keep the core system running well by creating appropriate
"insulation" on our own gateway code.

I lost track of the Internet "plumbing" as my work moved "up the stack",
and I haven't been involved in operating any part of the Internet for
20+ years.  Imagine my surprise recently when I learned that there were
now thousands of ASes, and they all somehow seem to mostly work together
to create the Internet we all use.   I do wonder now how that all
actually works, who's managing the pieces, and who's making the
decisions, and whether it's for pragmatic, technical, or political
reasons, and how events such as the one I just described are avoided.

Whatever and however it happened, it at least appears that Baran and
Kahn were right.   So far.

/Jack Haverty