[ih] A paper

vinton cerf vgcerf at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 04:52:57 PDT 2021

Jack,

at DARPA request around 1975 (?), Paul B and I (and perhaps others)
prepared a paper regarding the disposition of the Arpanet. We proposed that
the IMPs become the property of the various participants and that the
operation become a cooperative. DARPA decided instead to simply carry on
with central management by handing operational responsibility to DCA and,
finally, to shut the system down in 1990. It isn't clear that the
cooperative idea would actually have worked but it's indicative of Paul's
proclivity for distributed operation.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 2:00 AM Jack Haverty via Internet-history <