[ih] A paper

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun Jul 18 23:00:16 PDT 2021

I don't have access to the IEEE archives, but IIRC Baran's point was a
technical one - that there shouldn't be any single central computer that
was managing the network by performing functions such as setting
routes.    That's true, and was incorporated in the ARPANET IMPs, where
no IMP was "in charge" and if any IMP (or even the NOC) failed, the
remaining IMPs could continue operating just fine as a functional network.

What I was referencing was a non-technical design decision -- the notion
that there shouldn't be any single person, corporation, or organization
"managing the network".   The ARPANET, and IIRC all other networks of
the day, were under a single organization's control.   The Internet
tried a different approach, where "no one in charge" was the design
principle.   EGP/BGP was part of the technology to implement that
policy, although at the time the motivation for EGP was simply to make
it possible for other people to build a gateway and experiment, while
keeping the "core" at least safe from disruption.

As a side effect, such mechanisms may have introduced something like a
"right to connect" enabling anyone with a router to join the Internet.
But we didn't really think about that at the time.   You still had to
find someone already inside the network willing to add a wire connecting
their router to yours.

Apologies if I got the Baran info wrong; I read that paper way too long
ago....

/Jack