[ih] A paper

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun Jul 18 18:03:23 PDT 2021

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for a very cogent explanation.

There's a few observations I think many people haven't considered.

IMHO, the time period of the early Internet, roughly 70s/80s, was a
unique time in history.  The traditional methods of scientific
discussion and debate had relied on papers, letters,
conferences/proceedings, and other such "documentation" for centuries.
But that changed with the advent of computer networking.   I was a
student, and later a staff member, in Professor Licklider's group at
MIT, and so thoroughly indoctrinated in his vision of using computers
and networks to augment human interaction.   So that's what we did.

As the ARPANET grew, we naturally shifted our behavior to use "the net"
as much as possible.   Instead of writing papers, we wrote emails.
Instead of publishing documents, we put them on FTP servers.   The
traditional methods increasingly atrophied, within the "ARPANET
Community", as electronic interactions improved.    As a student, few of
us could afford many subscriptions to journals, and the library stacks
where you could read them much less convenient than the timesharing
terminal down the hall, a portal into the net.  As the Internet emerged,
and in particular CSNET and NSFNET expanded the connectivity into
institutions not involved in building the network, I suspect the same
transition occurred.

Unfortunately, computer storage was expensive, so you couldn't put too
much online or keep it there for posterity.  Sadly, a lot of that
"documentation" from the 70s/80s has now disappeared.     By the 90s,
computer storage costs had dropped dramatically, and most importantly
the World Wide Web entered the scene.   That made it possible for people
to put much of their "documentation" readily available online and
perhaps fragile mechanisms such as archive.org are preserving it for
posterity.   Sadly, few of the organizations managing the computers of
the day apparently saw any need to preserve things like archives of
mailing lists or email exchanges or contents of the FTP servers.   Even
the Datacomputer, where the mail system I built in the early 70s
deposited much "documentation" for safekeeping, apparently didn't
preserve it.   At least not that I know of.

So, IMHO there is a period of perhaps 15-20 years in the 70s/80s where
much of the "documentation" to support historians is simply lost, except
for "interviews and recollections".   Formal documentation was sparse,
and the newfangled informal documentation transiting the network has
been lost.   That may be a cause of the scenarios you describe of
students experiencing the "I was there" reaction.

Even before the 'net, I think the historical record is incomplete with
just the formalities of public "documentation" like papers as sources.
In particular, many organizations don't publish much of their activity,
whether for protection of their Intellectual Property or to avoid
embarassment, or simply because there's no business advantage in
spending your resources on it.   So IMHO we mostly don't know what they
did or why, yet their actions probably had a strong influence on history.

Personally I spent quite a few hours on the phone a few years ago with
Brad Fidler relating my experiences with developments like EGP.   My
comments on the paper were primarily trying to get the facts right about
that chunk of history.   Like much of the activities in the 70s/80s, you
won't find much that was in formal "documentation" about that; all we
have is personal recollections.

IMHO, the 70s/80s was a unique period of time because of that transition
that the network triggered.

A second observation concerns "what we were doing".   IMHO this is often
misunderstood.   People seem to think that we were building the Internet
we have today, and want to know why we screwed it up in some way.

I can only speak from personal experience.   But I certainly thought we
were building a system targeted toward government and military needs,
deploying it to see what worked, and expecting the results of such
research to be possibly folded into the subsequent "real" mechanisms
that were being developed by traditional means and organizations.

The Internet was a research project, and its deployment was an
experiment.  AFAIK, few of the people involved in implementing the
network mechanisms had significant prior experience in building network
equipment.  The contractors were organizations such as MIT, BBN, SRI,
and such.  None of the names you'd associate with data communications
(e.g., ATT) were involved.   We were expected to "think outside the
box", and to try new ideas.   If there were two candidate solutions to
some problem, one that we knew could work from others' experience, and
one new, untried, idea, often the choice was to try something new.  We
implemented such mechanisms not because we knew it would work, but
because we didn't know that it wouldn't work.

I don't remember anyone ever suggesting that we were building the
communications infrastructure that would survive for 50+ years and
blanket the entire planet.   That was OSI's job, but we could keep our
research network going for a few years until they were ready. If we
"defeated" the other guys, we didn't even know we were at war.   At
least I didn't...

A third observation is on the "politics" of the environment, or perhaps
what were the mechanisms and motivations that moved it along.

My perspective is that the early years (70s/early 80s) the main driving
force was a "benevolent dictatorship", where ARPA was the dictator and
exerted its influence by simple control of funding. Within that
dictatorship, there was a lot of freedom to explore your interests, as
long as they were plausible steps toward the research goals.   For
example, since the Internet was (still is?) an experiment, there was a
desire to run some tests.   Those tests required measuring time, which
was not an easy thing to do in a system spanning thousands of miles, and
no GPS satellites yet. Most of us were happy with the resolution of a
second or so that could be obtained by the classic "synchronize your
watches" approach and a telephone.   That wasn't good enough for Dave
Mills, who exerted tremendous effort to create NTP so that the computers
on the network could synchronize to milliseconds.   IMHO, Dave's the
reason your smartphone and computers today know what time it is.

As the Internet expanded, more players appeared, and commercial
interests extered their influence, things changed.  Personally, I have
no idea today how decisions are made that cause changes in the operating
Internet that we all use.   From the "documentation", you might believe
that it involves the IETF process which creates Standards.   But I've
occasionally asked the question -- How many of the protocols and
algorithms documented in RFCs are actually present and operating in the
Internet machinery that I'm using right now? I've never gotten much of
an answer, or seen much "documentation" that reveals how the design
decisions actually are made to create the network machinery I'm using
right now.   Or who makes those decisions.

So, not knowing what that process is, or who is actually making
decisions, I find it difficult to judge how "political" it might be.

Personally, I agree that the Internet today needs regulation - as long
as it operates in some way as effective as, and reminiscent of the
"benevolent dictatorship" of the ARPA/NSF days.  Maybe that's just not
possible though.   One of the design principles of the network (which
may not appear in "documentation") was that the network must not have
any single point of control, no one in charge.  One tangible result of
that principle was EGP.

That was important for survivability in military scenarios, so perhaps
now we're simply stuck with it.

Or maybe OSI will appear next year.

Thanks for reading,
/Jack Haverty