[ih] PhD

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 12:10:53 PST 2021

On 04-Jan-21 06:23, Dan Lynch via Internet-history wrote:
> In an earlier post someone was posting about Gordon Bell and his wife Gwen. It correctly attributed a PhD degree to Gwen and incorrectly to Gordon. Gordon had a Masters degree. Of course he gave out PhDs while at CMU. The early days of computer science found a number of brilliant people leading the field without advanced academic degrees of their own. Frothy times!
>
> I, myself, taught computer science without ever having taken a course in it. Early times. 60s.

Crossovers were normal. My M.Sc. supervisor in Manchester was Prof. Frank Sumner, whose Ph.D. was in chemistry. He did have the advantage of being taught to program by Alan Turing. All the Manchester CS Professors were crossovers at that time (1967), of course, but I think the others all had engineering degrees. For that matter, all the grad students were crossovers, since there was no such as a CS graduate in the UK until 1968.

And in networking: Donald Davies was a physicist. Paul Baran was an electrical engineer.

   Brian Carpenter