[ih] Funny how things work out

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Feb 2 09:31:00 PST 2021

On 2/1/2021 8:29 PM, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:
> On 02-Feb-21 15:14, Dave Crocker wrote:
>> Beyond possible waste and unpleasant emotion, how does this qualify for
>> more than a 'so what'?
>
> Because it's become a method of wealth transfer which (whether or not you
> agree that it's corrupt) is clearly of no underlying productive value.
> The world would be no worse off if most of those TLDs did not exist,
> except that the millions of dollars paid to ICANN and various registrars
> would have been used otherwise. I don't think it's "possible" waste;
> it's definite waste, and probably wastes quite a bit of energy every day.
>
> Admittedly, that's true of many of the things we do in the rich countries
> of the world.

Exactly.  Which means we need a degree of cost/benefit consideration to
decide what issues warrant time and energy to fix or at least improve upon.

Even without John's economic assessment in this thread, it's clear this
topic doesn't come close to being that interesting.

Silly, wasteful, emotional, possibly unfair.  Sure.  But meaningful and
important? Probably not.

d/
--
Dave Crocker