[ih] More terminology (Was: multi-protocol routers, bridges)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 18:00:45 PST 2021

On 03-Dec-21 14:18, Vint Cerf via Internet-history wrote:
> uh, that's not what I remember. Blue boxes and Cap'n Crunch whistles took
> over the inband audio signalling system until out of band control was
> introduced.

Not to mention "clicks" generated by a very, very brief hangup (a.k.a.,
a "flash").  As a grad student, I knew a trick for bypassing long
distance tolls from a pay phone if you clicked at exactly the right
moment. Sadly, 20 years later it was I who annoyed every grad student
at CERN by blocking the same exploit of our old PABX, because it was
costing us about 1M Swiss francs a year. By that time (~1990), the
phone company (i.e., the Swiss PTT) had enough of a control plane to
block unauthorized toll calls for us.

    Brian