[ih] Better-than-Best Effort

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Aug 28 13:15:42 PDT 2021

Thanks, Steve.  I hadn't heard the details of why ISI was selected.   I
can believe that economics was probably a factor but the people and
organizational issues could have been the dominant factors.

IMHO, the "internet community" seems to often ignore non-technical
influences on historical events, preferring to view everything in terms
of RFCs, protocols, and such.  I think the other influences are an
important part of the story - hence my "economic lens".   You just
described a view through a manager's lens.

/Jack

PS - I always thought that the "ARPANET demo" aspect of that ARPANET
timeframe was suspect, especially after I noticed that the ARPANET had
been configured with a leased circuit directly between the nearby IMPs
to ISI and ARPA.   So as a demo of "packet switching", there wasn't much
actual switching involved.   The 2 IMPs were more like multiplexors.

I never heard whether that configuration was mandated by ARPA, or BBN
decided to put a line in as a way to keep the customer happy, or if it
just happened naturally as a result of the ongoing measurement of
traffic flows and reconfiguration of the topology to adapt as needed.
Or something else.   The interactivity of the service between a terminal
at ARPA and a PDP-10 at ISI was noticeably better than other users
(e.g., me) experienced.