[ih] How Plato Influenced the Internet

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 15:45:36 PDT 2021

On 27-Aug-21 10:18, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> I do remember that there were experiments over the years, and at least a
> few RFCs defining meanings for the values of that TOS field we put in
> the IP header.   "Stable latency" could have been a useful type of
> service, making a virtual circuit look more like an old-school actual
> circuit.   I'm not sure if it's in any of those RFCs, or the similar
> mechanisms which I gather have been defined in IPV6.

Given that the Internet is a great big statistical multiplexer, the
ambitions of the differentiated services ("diffserv") work that
repurposed the "TOS" bits were limited to *bounded* latency aimed at
services such as Voice over IP. This has been very widely deployed
in corporate networks, for example. Getting differentiated services
to work across the open Internet is a much harder problem; it can only
happen if there are adequate service level agreements at all ISP
interconnections along the path. Many many RFCs have addressed this
topic, and it's still being worked on in the IETF. Just one sample:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8100.html

A feature of diffserv is that it's defined identically for IPv4
and IPv6.

(I was co-chair of the original diffserv WG that produced
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2474.html in 1998.)

There's a current IETF effort on 'deterministic networking'.
I have my doubts, but you can read all about it at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/detnet/documents/

Regards
   Brian Carpenter