[ih] How Plato Influenced the Internet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Aug 26 15:18:38 PDT 2021

I do remember that there were experiments over the years, and at least a
few RFCs defining meanings for the values of that TOS field we put in
the IP header.   "Stable latency" could have been a useful type of
service, making a virtual circuit look more like an old-school actual
circuit.   I'm not sure if it's in any of those RFCs, or the similar
mechanisms which I gather have been defined in IPV6.

Some of those RFCs (and TOS specifications) might even have made it to
becoming a "standard".   But IMHO the history of the Internet should
focus on what happened "in the field" of the Internet we all use
today.   It's hard for me as a user to tell, but I personally haven't
seen any evidence that any OS, or application, uses those TOS settings,
or that any ISP and/or router manufacturer has equipment that behaves
differently depending on the TOS settings. There have been "test the
net" services around for a while, primarily measuring throughput, but
recently I've seen a few that at least report on latency.   Still
haven't seen any ISP or equipment vendor touting their products'
abilities to offer different types of service.   Perhaps that's even
illegal now given "net neutrality"?

So it seems that the TOS functionality of IPV4 may have been evolved a
bit with some experimentation that occurred, but it doesn't seem to have
gotten into the live Internet.

That's one thing that led me to the observation that the History of the
Internet should include what didn't happen, and why.

/Jack Haverty