[ih] How Plato Influenced the Internet

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Mon Aug 23 19:47:50 PDT 2021

Jack,

A classic analysis of bits vs trits says trits are slightly more
efficient.  The analysis is based on assuming that it takes b parts to
represent a digit in base b.  Two parts for a bit, three parts for a trit,
four parts for a quit(?!).  The information content of k digits in base b
is b^k.  The "cost" is b*k.  The optimal base is e (2.71828...). Bases 2
and 4 are equal.  (The information content of 2k bits is 2^(2k).  The
information content of k quits is 4^k.  The costs are the same, i.e. 4k.)

Trinary is better but not by much.  Using six parts, you can make three
bits or two trits.  The information content of three bits is 8.  The
information content of two trits is 9.

A different consideration of using trinary vs binary is the representation
of integers.  As we all know from hard experience, twos complement
representation of signed integers gives you an asymmetry with one more
negative number than positive number.  Switch to ones complement and you
wind up with two representations of zero.  Trinary gives you a naturally
symmetric representation of signed integers.

I think that's the end of the advantages of trinary over binary.  But I'm
VERY impressed you took the time and effort to actually build such
circuits.  Bravo!

Steve

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 10:29 PM Jack Haverty via Internet-history <