[ih] How Plato Influenced the Internet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Aug 23 19:29:35 PDT 2021

Back in the 60s, a lot of computer technology was not yet cast in
concrete.  There were lots of choices.  But then someone pursues one
choice, and if it works reasonably well, others follow the same path.
It doesn't take very long for the "installed base" to become so large
that it's unlikely that some other initial choice could easily take
over.    Think about how long it's taken, so far, for IPV6 to supplant IPV4.

Sometime around 1968, as a learning experience in some lab course at
MIT, I decided to make some non-binary logic.   At the time, analog
computers were still around, and digital computers hadn't yet agreed
even on how many bits were in a byte, or how to encode characters, or
what order bits should be in a computer memory word.   But bits were
pretty well established.

I figured there must be other choices.   So I made some ternary logic.
Unlike binary, which dealt with 1s and 0s, I used +1, 0, and -1 as the
three possible states.  Electronically it translated into positive,
negative, or no current.   Using transistors and such components, I made
some basic logic "gates" that operated using three states instead of
two.  Was that a good idea?   Probably not, but it was a good way to
learn about circuits.    Instead of bits (binary digits), how about
manipulating trits (trinary digits)? There's nothing magic about 1s and 0s.

Shortly thereafter, binary took over as circuitry went into integrated
circuits and a whole industry came in to being around binary
computers.   If some other kind of approach, ternary, quaternary, or
whatever is better than binary, we'll probably never know.   I suspect
something might happen soon with qubits though to challenge bits supremacy..

There are lots of ways to do things, and the one that "wins" might not
have been the best choice.

Imagine how networking and computing might have evolved with trits
instead of bits....

/Jack