[ih] How Plato Influenced the Internet

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Aug 23 07:18:05 PDT 2021

On 8/23/2021 7:12 AM, John Day via Internet-history wrote:
> It is not uncommon in the history of technology (it has been observed back several centuries) that it isn’t so much direct transfer of technology but more someone brings back a story along the lines of, ‘I saw this thing that did thus and so and kind of looks like t.’

At the Munich 'IETF' meeting in 1982 - Vint announced he was leaving
Arpa.  I don't remember whether he said he'd be going to MCI, though
that meeting was when he recruited me for the MCI Mail project.

Anyhow, his announcement included the comment that technology does not
transfer.  People do.

d/

--
Dave Crocker