[ih] How Plato Influenced the Internet

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Mon Aug 23 07:12:12 PDT 2021

Yea, I would say that Englebart’s NLS had more influence on us and the people at PARC. We had TNLS running over the ’Net at Illinois. Many of Englebart’s group ended up at PARC.  With graphics, Ivan Sutherland and Newman and Sproul were probably get biggest influence. We weren’t doing a lot of fancy stuff, although I remember Knowles coming up with a pretty nifty hidden line algorithm.

As for chat-like programs, TENEX had the ability to share screens and in 1970 or 71, Jim Calvin, either just before he left Case-Western or just after he got to BBN, ‘extended’ it as a multi-user ’teleconferencing’ program. That *was* a social media. Most of us had terminals at home and we would spend hours in the evenings discussing the problems of the world, collaborating on code, etc. Someone wrote articles on it and demonstrated it at ICCC ’72.  Most of those applications were invented several times.

It is not uncommon in the history of technology (it has been observed back several centuries) that it isn’t so much direct transfer of technology but more someone brings back a story along the lines of, ‘I saw this thing that did thus and so and kind of looks like t.’ Which gives someone the idea, that if it exists, then how it must work like this.’ It isn’t quite independent invention, but it isn’t quite direct influence either.

John