[ih] FTP RIP

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Mon Sep 28 16:16:57 PDT 2020

Bernie Cosell wrote in
 <5F725144.18474.4F492025 at bernie.fantasyfarm.com>:
 |I am a little amused at all this.  The "death of FTP" apparently is \
 |caused by a
 |browser or two no longer supporting ftp:// URLs.    I guess that the \
 |modern
 |view is that the browser is the one and only portal to the Internet \
 |and so what it
 |can't see ceases to exist.  [and its corollary: what gmail doesn't \
 |do or support
 |defines what email is]
 |
 |[I wonder if this means that the FTP client on the various servers \
 |I have SSH
 |access to will stop working, and if it'll rip the two ftp clients off \
 |of my PC :o)]

It is not so funny given how many DNS root server traffic has been
generated by a single browser by decision, and how much pressure
(imho) the browser people generate to push DoH (DNS over HTTP),
and what ideas are discussed or even are already standardized
which require a browser etc. (MUD as of RFC 8520 in discussion for
encrypted DNS).  Repeated occurrance of "the internet is not only
the web" or so can be heard.
Let alone pressure due to enforcement of OAuth2 (XOAUTH aka really
OAUTHBEARER) which requires refresh tokens via HTTP(S).  (And
which does not bring any benefit imho.)

--steffen