[ih] FTP RIP

Darius Kazemi darius.kazemi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 08:25:35 PDT 2020

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 1:23 PM John Levine via Internet-history <

> It's an OK article, but what's a picture of a Model 32 Teletype doing
> there?

That specific teletype is there to illustrate the point in RFC 114 that
"indirect usage" means that a user doesn't have to care about "differences
in terminal characteristics". It's a photo of an ARPANET terminal, and I
think it's important to stress to people where we can that a good portion
of very early ARPANET was printed on paper and that when we talk about
terminals and their characteristics we don't just mean purely software
terminals. Specifically the teletype pictured was connected to the Sigma 7
at UCLA, according to the person who took the photo:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fastlizard4/8412531873/