[ih] Running mailing lists is hard

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Sep 15 16:35:08 PDT 2020

In article <CAEf-zrj5H+ov7szo74zYfxkJEEQX+Mpaw2jv_B8OXmybN3A_Bg at mail.gmail.com> you write:
>yours truly posits that the ISOC mail list PTB's have inserted
>an “inappropriate” filter ...

I run a lot of mailing lists on my own server, and I find this comment just laughable.

On today's Internet, 95% (yes, really) of mail is spam, spammers
attack every possible aspect of the mail system, and ISOC's contractor
does as good a job as any provider I know. Just keeping the mail going
at any sort of scale, particularly into the large providers who are
the target of a disproportinate amount of the spam, is a challenge. I
agree that blocking hook-up is silly, but having seen some of the
stuff that people try to send to other ISOC lists, I'm not very
surprised they use it as a filter key.

On the other hand, if you're offering to host this list, manage the
delivery challenges, and arrange for long term archival storage and
pay for it, I'm sure we'd all be interested.

R's,
John