[ih] Update on filtered list posts

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Sep 15 11:37:30 PDT 2020

On 9/15/20 12:16 PM, the keyboard of geoff goodfellow via
Internet-history wrote:
> yours truly posits that the ISOC mail list PTB's have inserted an
> “inappropriate” filter (double entendre on purpose :D) Postfix
> before-queue Milter [http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html]
> before it "delivers"/"hands over" the goods (i.e. message) to the
> Mailman Mailing List Manager.

Agreed.  Post-SMTP and Pre-Mailman.

> how this is an apparent batting out-of-order:
>
> the ISOC Mailman Mailing List Manager is most likely configured so
> as to ONLY accept messages for distribution to IH from extant list
> members, therefore preventing any (errant/non-list registered email
> address) submissions to internet-history at elists.isoc.org from being
> "accepted" and processed.

Are such errant / non-list posts rejected during the incoming SMTP
transaction -or- are they bounced after the fact?

> if the ordering were such that the Mailman Mailing List Manager
> address validation took place before The Forbidden Words Filter
> did it's thing, THEN a better (and more "correct") Forbidden Words
> Filtering could take place after sender address validation.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  It is highly dependent on what "sender address
validation" means and how reliable it is.

> then, if The Forbidden Words Filter detected A Forbidden Word,
> it could then instigate a "reply" message to the already
> authenticated/permitted/allowed "sender" notifying him/her to
> the effect their message contained A Forbidden Word and was not
> redistributed to the IH list.

"authentication" of the purported sender address is a very sticky wicket
in this context.  Determining if the purported sending address is
"permitted" or "allowed" to post to the list are a LOT easier to determine.

I have LONG wanted a Mailman milter that would allow more of Mailman's
functionality to be integrated during the SMTP transaction.

1)  Is the purported sender (SMTP MAIL FROM:..) allowed to post to the
mailing list in question (SMTP RCPT TO:...).
2)  Apply various sanity checks after the message has been sent (after
the closing <CR><LF><.><CR><LF> at the end of the SMTP DATA) to the
mailing list or not.
3)  REJECT the message /during/ the SMTP transaction /if/ Mailman's
normal filters would reject the message.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die