[ih] Update on filtered list posts

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Tue Sep 15 11:16:27 PDT 2020

aha, now a batting out of order "process" becomes clear, viz.:

yours truly posits that the ISOC mail list PTB's have inserted
an “inappropriate” filter (double entendre on purpose :D) Postfix
before-queue Milter [http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html] before it
"delivers"/"hands over" the goods (i.e. message) to the Mailman Mailing
List Manager.

how this is an apparent batting out-of-order:

the ISOC Mailman Mailing List Manager is most likely configured so as to
ONLY accept messages for distribution to IH from extant list members,
therefore preventing any (errant/non-list registered email address)
submissions to internet-history at elists.isoc.org from being "accepted" and
processed.

if the ordering were such that the Mailman Mailing List Manager address
validation took place before The Forbidden Words Filter did it's thing,
THEN a better (and more "correct") Forbidden Words Filtering could take
place after sender address validation.

then, if The Forbidden Words Filter detected A Forbidden Word, it could
then instigate a "reply" message to the already
authenticated/permitted/allowed "sender" notifying him/her to the effect
their message contained A Forbidden Word and was not redistributed to the
IH list.

geoff