[ih] Update on filtered list posts

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Sep 15 10:46:01 PDT 2020

Hello all,

if you are curious, as an amusement, you can do a search on: hook-up
spam (without the hypen) in your favourite search engine and will see
what kind of emails this word referred to, although a word of warning,
don't click on the links as some of them send you to unsecured places.

Joking aside, Geoff Goodfellow asked whether a bounce email warning
should be sent in return for postings that are deemed inappropriate. The
problem is that often spam emails use a forged return address and can
cause what's called "backscatter"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_(email)

So scanners just drop them. This is the eternal problem of "false
positives" which has been around since the earliest days of anti-virus
scanners.

Kindest regards,

Olivier