[ih] Karl's post from Friday: Re: Interop as part of Internet History

Joseph Touch touch at strayalpha.com
Mon Sep 14 08:20:57 PDT 2020

> On Sep 14, 2020, at 12:29 AM, dave walden via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> On 9/13/2020 9:39 PM, John Gilmore wrote:
>
> dave walden wrote:
>
>> And the IEEE Annals of the History of Computing would surely like to see submission of a an anecdote or a longer piece submitted to the peer review process
>> Why would any veteran of the early Internet ever submit their historical
>> reminisces to a group that locks the information up behind a paywall for
>> its own profit?
>>
>> Dave replies:
> Because I think having the history exist in an organized way in an archival journal is important.

Also, they don’t.

*EVERY* paper I have ever written with the IEEE and ACM are available at www.strayalpha.com <http://www.strayalpha.com/>, my website.

That is done *with the permission of the IEEE and ACM*.

They allow authors to post their work, typically up to the last version formatted by the author (which can include versions updated by the author to look very much like the final version). There are some restrictions - e.g., they don’t allow are posting all of the papers of a journal or conference at a single URL.

However, for those two organizations, authors are generally permitted to post a copy of their work at their own site, even with the transfer of copyright.

Joe