[ih] inter IMP hackery [was Recently restored and a small ARPANET was run using simulated IMP hardware, ]

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Mon Sep 7 11:05:41 PDT 2020

thanks for the clarification on the MTIPs Alex... was always curious as to
the MTIPs, as they seemed "unique"/"forgotten" in the history of the
ARPANET and never seemed to get much if any prominence (and now
understandably given that there were only two of them).

the MTIPs had come to yours truly's attention in that in the Tenex host
table file, <System>Host-Name/Descriptor-File.txt as well as IIRC in the
NIC's (SRI-ARC) <Netinfo>Hosts.txt there was a descriptor field of what
type (i.e. functionality) a given host provided: User, Server, TIP or MTIP.

one remaining question of the MTIPs: did they only transfer data between
them exclusively over the ARPANET, MTIP to MTIP only, -OR- were they used
to transfer/send data from a mag tape on an MTIP to some socket & receiving
process on a "server" host?

if the later, the next curious/pesky question would be: what was the
protocol (and corresponding socket #) used to effectuate said data
transference?

geoff

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 6:30 AM Alex McKenzie via Internet-history <