[ih] inter IMP hackery [was Recently restored and a small ARPANET was run using simulated IMP hardware, ]

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Mon Sep 7 08:07:22 PDT 2020

Alex,

Vint, Len or Bob might have some insight to add.  My best guess is Larry didn’t have a complete plan in his head and certainly didn’t have one written down, but he was quick to see emerging issues and he had enough sufficient budgetary and programmatic flexibility to allow him to evolve the program as it went along.  I think the idea of expanding beyond four nodes was pretty much a given even before the first contract was let.  That is, the structuring of the contract into a four node initial net and with options to extend was just normal care in setting up the program and it would have been a huge surprise and disappointment if the installations hadn’t continued.  But all the other pieces — network management, TIPs, etc. — emerged along the way.

With respect to network management, I do recall we actively tried to set up an alternate network management site.  The group we negotiated with didn’t put together a credible proposal and we abandoned the effort.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone